I was inspired to write this article about reading best sports for 5 year old blog. It gives examples of excellent sports activities for kids. However, cycling was missing! Cycling for kids is good, especially since kids love bikes. One reason why they love bikes is that it has been a major part of their lives since their childhood. First with a tricycle, then training wheels, before finally moving to two wheels. Riding a bike is a part of almost every child’s experience. However, despite being a part of every kids life, many still question if cycling is good for kids.
It is worth noting that cycling offers so many benefits for kids throughout their lives. There are so many benefits it offers, but physical benefits and health benefits, and this article will show you these benefits, so read on. BTW – read also our article on the benefits of recumbent bikes.
Before you get a bike for your child, it is important to understand the benefits and disadvantages of cycling. This is because most of the time, we focus more on the benefits alone when deciding to buy a bike for your kids. However, it is still vital to understand the pros and cons before buying a bike.
One of the main reasons why most parents buy bikes for their kids is because it offers a great way for them to minimize their screen time. Cycling is also recommended for kids because it is an active sport, unlike other sports.
The Importance of Cycling for Kids
In general, kids like to ride a bike, and when they are introduced to cycling at an early age, it becomes a hobby and a routine for them. There are more benefits of this sport, and it’s beyond reducing screen time or getting your kids engaged.
Here are some of the benefits of cycling for kids:
- Cycling Promotes Kids Development: Teaching your kids to cycle will help them build their body muscle. Cycling promotes bone health and overall strength in children. It can also promote the development of the heart and lungs of your child. Another amazing benefit is that cycling helps to enhance the development of cardiovascular muscles. As your child strokes the pedal, their body stamina is stimulated. Most importantly is the fact that cycling is a great way for them to control their weight.
- Social Development: The world is growing at a fast pace, and with this, there’s a very high chance of not paying attention to the people you kids interact with, especially online. However, cycling is a great way of reducing their chance of getting involved with bad people online. Social discipline is an important quality every parent would want their child to have, and one effective way to do this is cycling. Cycling makes it a lot easier for kids to build social skills. For example, they get to share their aspirations, views, ambitions, ideas, and secrets with other kids when cycling.
- Emotional Wellness: Another benefit of cycling is that it helps to promote confidence in children. It allows a child to become more independent because, over time, they get to build a very high level of self-confidence. It also helps kids to be aware of their surroundings and their bodies. Cycling also makes a child more responsible and accountable. In general, kids who cycle regularly find it easier to get out of fear zone faster than kids who do not cycle.
- Health Benefits: Cycling is one of the most therapeutic activities that your child can engage in. It helps a child to stay focused, stay younger, and also relieve stress. With cycling, your child can maintain a healthy weight. Therefore, you don’t have to be concerned about your child getting obese. Cycling also helps to increase metabolic rates in kids.
- Building Muscle Mass: A lot of people often think that cycling only helps to build muscle mass in the lower extremities. However, it is important to note that even the upper body muscles of the body are involved. Therefore, allowing your kids to ride a bike within the neighborhood will help them to build muscle and strengthen their entire body.
Types of Cycling for Kids Bikes
There are so many bikes available in the market, but it is worth noting that not all these bikes are suitable for kids. If you have decided to get a bike for your child after going through the benefits above, then it is important to know the types of kids’ bikes available.
The first thing to do before getting a bike is to point out certain factors like your child’s age, cycling intention, and type of bike. In general, there are two types of bikes on the market.
- Balance bike
- Stabilizer bike
Balance bikes are designed for kids two years or older. It is the smallest range bike you’ll find on the market without pedals. For kids learning cycling for the first time, the balance bike is a better option to settle for. These bikes also come with augmented features that can make them also serve as stabilizer bikes, and this can save you money.
Here’s a list of the different types of kid bikes motorcycle available:
- Mountain bike
- Hybrid bike
- Drop handlebar bikes
- Road bike
- Time trial bike
- Cyclocross bike
- Trick bike or BMX
- Track bike
- Folding bike
- Commuting bike
- Battery bike
- Tandem bike
Getting a bike for your child is not the only thing you need to do. There are so many other accessories you’ll need to get them in other to give them the best experience. These accessories help to guarantee and promote the safety of your child.
Examples of some of the accessories you can get for your child include:
- Helmets to protect their heads from impact when they fall
- Bike mudguards
- Kids gloves and pads, also for increased safety
- Bike stabilizers
- Bells and horns
- Lights and reflectors
- Water bottles
- Styling accessories
- Valve caps
- Gift bags
- Number plates
- Bike locks
- Bags baskets
With these accessories in place, cycling for kids will become the most exciting activity, and your child will always look forward to it.